'Farewell my Friend' - 'Death Be Not Proud'.





Musings from a Recliner – 0530 hrs - 16 Jun 23 ~ Lally Virk




‘Farewell my Friend’ - ‘Death Be Not Proud’.


Death, be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so;


For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow
Die not, poor Death, nor yet canst thou kill me.


From rest and sleep, which but thy pictures be,
Much pleasure; then from thee much more must flow,


And soonest our best men with thee do go,
Rest of their bones, and soul's delivery.


Thou art slave to fate, chance, kings, and desperate men,
And dost with poison, war, and sickness dwell,


And poppy or charms can make us sleep as well
And better than thy stroke; why swell'st thou then?


One short sleep past, we wake eternally
And death shall be no more; Death, thou shalt die.'

                                                            ~ John Dunne



Extremely saddened about the ‘moving on’ of 2 of our dear course-mates or ‘brothers from other mothers.’

Though I did not ever get the opportunity to interact with BVK, SK Kapoor and I got along pretty well whenever we met.

He was in the neighbouring Golf Sqn and our paths would often cross. He would look at me with that shy half smile of his and we would always exchange a few pleasantries before walking off to our respective sqns.
 
Let me recount an anecdote that happened about 6/7 years back. I met SK after a pretty long time in one of the get-togethers of the ‘Delhi Chapter’. I saw this ‘rather heavyset squatty guy’ walk up to me and hold out his hand which I promptly shook. For a split second I didn’t place him and he did make out, but before he could tell me, that ‘half smile’ did the trick. Nonetheless, he introduced himself and we hugged each other.
 
As is usual the talk veered around NDA. Suddenly he looks at me and says, ‘Tere ko yaad hai, tune meri badi pitai ki thi’. I looked at him incredulously, ‘Maine teri kab pitai ki thi oye’. That naughty glint with the half smile back and SK says, ‘Tu bhool gaya hai – you and I fought the novices boxing bout and you gave me a bloody good bashing’. We both laughed and hugged each other again.
 
Now comes the freaky part. A couple of days ago my son, Yuvraj, and I were sitting beside Jasmin who is admitted in Artemis. As is want of us ‘ole fellas’ at this stage of our lives, I was just trying to lighten the tense air all around us by talking about our days in NDA. I don’t really recall the exact thread because of my fuzzy brain, but somehow I recounted the above episode of SK and me to my son. I hadn’t met SK since that meeting of years ago, but somehow he came to my mind that day. Probably it was some premonition or his proximity, being also admitted in Artemis. Had I known he was admitted in Artemis, I would have positively looked him up because Artemis Hospital is more of a home today to the ‘Virks’, than The Camellias where we now reside.
 
So long my friend ‘SK the Ace’……..till we meet again. 🙏

Coming back to the subject of ‘Death Be Not Proud’…….well, this is what I keep telling ‘death’, as it comes knocking on our door ever so often in the last few years as my dear wife, Jasmin, battles with it day on day. I do not know what the final outcome after the tenth round will be, but what I do know is the we are giving this fight with the 'crab' one hellva fight. Though I daresay, at the end of the ‘seventh round’ the scales seem to be tilting in favour of the 'crab', but we still have 3 more rounds to go and I know, Jasmin is not going to give in till the last bell and the family, as 'seconds', is egging her on !!
 
Talking about all of us ‘brothers from other mothers’. We possibly have around 10 odd 'good' years ahead to fulfil our bucket lists. I feel, the catch words or mantra for our sunset years should be – ‘Bonhomie, Camaraderie, Energy, Enthusiasm & Empathy’. Moderation, the vegan diet fad etc etc and what have you, be damned. You gotta go you gotta go !!!
 
If we are going to exercise moderation in everything, 'Toh phir rang kaise jamega......jab mil baithenge teen yaar' !!!!
 
'Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body bedecked with flowers in a walnut wood carved coffin, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, a cigar in one hand and a martini in the other, thoroughly used up, totally broken and worn out, and loudly proclaiming as you go sliding down, "Wow! What a Ride !!!!'.

Lastly, “Don’t go to your grave with your best work inside of you. Choose to die empty.”


Die with memories, not dreams. 🤗🏌🌴




P.S - (It's been ages since I last mused, so pardon me if it looks a bit rusty or jaded.)










Comments

  1. Great to read from you after ages Virk. Death be damned. Live life king sized brother from another mother. Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poignant! Well said Lally!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Bro,
    A wonderful ode to the Smart Golfie of our wonderful Bamboodoor course. We should enjoy every moment, take pleasure in giving and to quote you - "promote Bonhomie, Camaraderie, Energy, Enthusiasm & Empathy".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written... The reality of life...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to read your words again, Lally. Reading between the lines one can see the battle that the courageous Virks' are waging. We may not be with you physically but our prayers are with you every single day. Am sure with your strength and our prayers God will be kind to bestow his blessings favourably.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellently written, Lally! Admire your and Jasmin's attitude, brother! "Keep fighting!" 👍🏾

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear, Good to read your blog after a long gap. I have a faint recollection of SK from the AFTT where I bumped into him once - I think it was just short of mid term as I changed to Army after mid term. May God give him the place he deserves in the Heavens and I am sure he would be watching snd clapping as we cross the finish line and join our brothers from other Mothers.
    My heart goes out to you in your fight against the crab and am sure the Virks will tilt the balance in their favour. Our prayers are always with you and we wish a speedy recovery to Jasmin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lally too good. Your pen hasn’t rusted one bit despite your musings now coming in off and on. You are damn right, when you gotta go, you gotta go. Am slowly emptying my collection of good whiskey though beer is the preferred drink nowadays. Yaaron ka saath aur apnon ki khushi, isse jyada kuchchh nahin chahiye. Cheers till we meet again. Soon, very soon with Jasmine, you, friends and a glass of beer.

    Keep the pen flowing, don’t let the feelings remain inside. Leave your words on the sands of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That’s me, Mickey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who knows better than you Lally. The Virks know a lot about living life king size. The chips may be down now, but the fight is not out. That nasty Ole fella, I mean the crab, has met it's match and will lose. Great writing, interesting anecdote of another great guy. You do us proud

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the post Lally. Our prayers n best wishes to Jasmine and you all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very touching and poignant account as usual from you Laly.. About SK, my wife Sarita and I have a lot of respect for him and Madhu who’s been by his side. He’s been a good friend, a great husband and father as well as a good professional and a sportsman too.

    Meanwhile, read about the challenges Laly has been facing. Sarita and I wish her a speedy recovery and back to The Camelias and no more Artemis

    ReplyDelete
  13. Col A K JayachandranJune 16, 2023 at 9:07 PM

    Dear Lally
    I read your piece on Death Be Not Proud and realized the profundity of what you have written about Life & Death . The loss of two of our coursemates , Sunil Kapoor & BVK Reddy much before their time is a stark reminder of how fickle life is .....here today and gone tomorrow !
    Jasmin's fight against the crab is one of the most courageous that Ive known . The fact that the Virk Family stand solidly behind her in support against this relentless invader is something that touches ones heart . I admire the fact that you are collectively denying the Grim Reaper an easy victory . May Wahe Guru be with her & all of you in this battle . Soldier on as youve always done in Life . ....We are keeping her and the whole family in our prayers . Keep the faith bro
    Rab Rakha !!!
    Jay
    🙏🙏

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our prayers are with Jasmine and you. 🙏

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Nemo Resideo - The Battle for my Identity"

A Tribute to My Dear Wife - Jasmin Virk.