A Tribute to My Dear Wife - Jasmin Virk.





A Tribute to My Dear Wife, Jasmin Virk


The light that lit up our lives for 38 years has left us.

The world today looks dark, foggy and cold.

As I grope through this darkness and cold 
and see the lonely road ahead winding upwards, 
I begin to realise the fragility and vulnerability of life.

I know, the better half of me,
 is gone forever and today, I feel so hollow & empty. 

I also know, however hard I may 
try to fill this hollowness in me, 
I will never be ‘complete’ again. 

But, what I also do know is that I will be able 
to wipe out the last six years of pain and suffering
 and try and fill this hollowness 
with the wonderful moments and memories 
we created as we held hands and travelled through 
the 38 glorious years we spent with each other. 

I was just too blessed and would 
always remain thankful and indebted 
that she chose to spend this lifetime with me,
- the evolved soul that ‘she’ was !!!

I also do know that one day this darkness will begin to lift 
and I will be able to see, maybe somewhat hazily, 
through this fog that engulfs me today, 
but see I will, and come to some kind of terms 
to address the balance of my life with a smile on my face, 
because I know, that what is Jasmin would want me to do 
and I know she will guide me through these paces 
as I begin to learn to take 
baby steps once again, without her by my side.

I still remember that evening vividly 
when I first set eyes on Jasmin. 

I was in IMA and she was a little school girl who 
had accompanied her Teacher, Athena, 
our Deputy Commandant Maj Gen Sharma’s daughter,
for this horse-show in which I was participating.

Gen Sharma had a Greek wife and Athena was 
a neat mix of the legendary good looking Greek 
women with Indian Bloodlines,
or that’s the way she appeared to us lot with ‘starved eyes’ !!!

The horse-show consisted of a standing salute for the dignitaries,
followed by show-jumping and tent pegging.

With this over, it was a little bit of fun and games.

There was a treasure hunt where, we riders were 
to draw names of the participating ladies 
from this august audience,
 from a bowl consisting of slips with their names.

As luck would have it and as was destined, 
I had picked Athena as my partner.

After picking out their names, the ladies were made to line up 
on one end of the field and we, on horseback, were given 10 seconds 
to recognize the shoes/sandals of our respective partners.

All these shoes and sandals were then 
put in a large basket and jumbled up.

We were to ride at full gallop from the other end of the field,
dismount, pick out the sandals of our respective partners and 
gallop back across the field to the finish line. 

All this with the ladies crowding around the basket,
shouting and laughing trying to guide their respective partners. 

Though I did manage
to ride back pretty much up in front but, to my 
and Athena’s dismay, I had picked the wrong pair. 

But it was all good fun, amidst lots of laughter.

It was then that I had met this shy pretty girl. 

What struck me most about ‘Her’ and lingered on for a long long time, 
besides her striking good looks of course, 
was her innocence and that ‘untouched by the world’ look, 
which pretty much stayed with her, her whole life.

It was only many years later that Jasmin told me
how enamoured she had been, seeing this handsome
surd Gentleman Cadet, in a sky blue turban and beige breeches,
as he galloped away giving the standing salute followed by the 
other parts of the horse-show.....and even then, 
I remember, she was blushing away.

Life took us apart, as on commissioning 
I was posted to some Godforsaken area in the
eastern part of the Country, much against what I wanted. 

But, Providence & destiny prevailed 
& brought us together again,
to share this wonderful journey of life - together. 





And what we led was, pretty much, a charmed life
for 32 wondrous years, before this dreaded crab struck.






Along this blissful journey of ours, 
we were blessed with two amazing children, 
my daughter, Gulnar & my son, Yuvraj. 





Today, when I begin to look back 
through the ‘back-view’ mirror,
with tear laden eyes, I see a long winding path 
behind, strewn with rose petals and flowers 
weaving its way through this beautiful valley 
surrounded by the most amazing moments & memories
we created together.



And that’s what, hopefully, 
I wish to keep seeing and remembering
as I, totteringly, trudge this lonely road ahead.

~ Till we meet again my love !!!!! ~




~   A huge limb from the Family Tree has fallen.
I keep hearing a whisper from the skies, 
“Grieve not for me”,
Remember the best times, the lovely moments, 
the laughter, the song.
The good life I lived while I was strong.
Continue my heritage, I’m counting on you.
Keep smiling & surely the sun will shine through.
My mind is at ease, I am pain free & my soul is at rest.
Remembering you all, how truly I was blessed.
Continue traditions, no matter how small.
Get on with your lives, don’t worry about the falls.
I miss you all dearly and will wait,
till the day when we are together again.   ~





A Thank You Note

Last, but by no stretch the least, I wish to express 
my heartfelt gratitude
to all my ‘brothers from other Mothers’, 
who reached out to me, Gulnar & Yuvraj,
and to those who gave me a 
shoulder to lean on during our hour of grief.

A very special and my ardent heartfelt gratitude 
to Mickey Chhibber,
supported by Cdo KK,
who orgainsed the entire last rites
ceremony for Jasmin with so much of decorum, grace, 
peace & precision at the Brar Square,
with able assistance from
Robin Soni & Jagbir Cheema.

My heartfelt gratitude to all my brothers 
who were physically present at the Brar Square 
and subsequently at the Gurudwara, where we did the 
‘Bhog & Antim Ardas’.

A special thanks too to Lalit Pandey, Jagbir Cheema 
& Shekhar Naidu who travelled all the way
from their respective stations to be with me at my hour of grief.

It was a very befitting tribute paid to 
my dear, Jasmin, 
as we laid her to rest and sent her
for her onward journey to eternal bliss & happiness.

On 13th Jul evening when we had come back home 
from the Brar Square,
we were all sitting together on my deck outside.
Each one of us grieving in our own way.
Most of my son’s friends who were with us, came up to me and 
told me, “Uncle, I think we may have attended 
about 14 to 15 cremations in our lives so far.
Never have we seen one done the way it was done 
for Aunty at the Brar Square”. 

~That said it all~

~ Thank you my 'Brothers From Other Mothers'. ~



~ And what is it to cease breathing, but to 
free the breath from its restless tides, 
that it may rise and expand and 
seek WaheGuru Ji unencumbered ? ~








Comments

  1. Lally, that's a Tribute filled with so much gratitude. Love you my brother.
    S P Sharma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laly, a very fitting tribute. We are all with you in this moment of grief. Our prayers with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A tribute, most befitting for the great soul Jasmin. Surely,she,from the heavens above, will always be by your side. May her noble soul attain moksha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lally, indeed a wonderful tribute to the truly remarkable Jasmin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Lally, your ode to Jasmin is too beautiful. She was a gem and you both were made for each other. One can feel your pain and what you all had to go through these last six years. We were just bystanders on the side, feeling helpless, hoping for her to beat the crab, while you traveled that road with her during those painful days with Gulnar and Yuvraj and also Adarsh. How we wish the outcome was different but Waheguru willed otherwise. Take heart my friend, you did all what was humanly possible for a person to do. Ultimately we have to bow to the wishes of the Waheguru. We remain Brothers from other Mothers and there are no sorrys and Thank you between us. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Touching ๐Ÿ™

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Lally,
    I hope this note finds you in the company of loved ones, finding strength in each other during this difficult time. I cannot begin to express the profound sadness we all feel about the loss of beloved Jasmin. She truly was an epitome of grace and beauty, and her presence left a fragrant mark on the lives of everyone fortunate enough to have met her.
    Jasmin's inner strength throughout her six-year battle with the debilitating disease was nothing short of commendable. It was evident that she fought courageously, and you stood by her side every step of the way, a pillar of unwavering support and love. Her memory will forever be etched in our hearts, and the inspiration she provided to those around her will continue to shape our lives.
    Indeed, this loss is not yours alone, but shared by all of us who had the privilege of walking a few steps of our journeys with her. The void she leaves behind is immense, and we grieve alongside you, Gulnar, and Yuvraj. Please know that you are not alone in this journey of grief; we are here for you, to support you, and to share the memories that bind us together.
    Though it may seem insurmountable right now, life must go on. Jasmin would want nothing more than to see you all living out her values, dreams, and passions. Let her light continue to shine through you and your children as you navigate this new chapter in life.
    During moments of loneliness and despair, remember that you have an extended family of friends who will hold your hand and walk with you on this path of life. Lean on us when you need to, and know that we are with you always.
    Jasmin's impact on our lives will never fade away. Her legacy of grace, strength, and love will continue to inspire us, guiding us through our own challenges. Let us cherish the memories we shared with her and find comfort in the fact that she is now at peace.

    I remember Jasmin telling Sonia that she would love to come to our house and help us set it up, once we move in. Alas, God had other plans and we were denied the privilege of hosting her at home. We however look forward to you coming over to us anytime you are upto it. Let's sit and have a drink together and hold each others hand in our continued journey of life.
    With eternal support,
    Tony and Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Virk, This is a befitting tribute to a fine lady ' untouched by the world' , full of innocence and immense affection for all those she interacted with. We indeed feel for you brother....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Touching tribute Lally.
    I have a "code" for this : LINT. = Lump in throat...
    Prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A moving touching yet beautifully written Tribute for a Loving wife and Shared journey of Life . Chhaya and I join in your hour of grief and hope the sweet and wonderful memories will make you take steps to fulfill and Cherish the dreams you both have for the children .

    ReplyDelete
  11. An ode to your life partner, as fine as the lady herself, Lally! Bless you, brother! ๐Ÿ™

    ReplyDelete
  12. A true tribute from the depth of your heart Lally!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jasmin is a gem who touched our hearts. Lally.. you too r a gem. Can I forget the great times I have had in your company and how the two of you went out of the way when we reached your home newly wed in Jan Feb 1989. Together you made both of us so comfortable and so happy: it became a challenge to leave the comfort and love of your home and start our own. Gulnar was there too. Such a cutie, keeping an eye and a ear open to make sure we did not get into too much of hanky Panky. Truly my best memories.
    Lally such a wonderful and apt tribute to Jasmin by yourself.
    Take care. She is always there for you like you have been the Rock for her.



    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Lally ,
    My heartfelt condolences to you , your family and friends .
    We have not met . Unfortunately our paths never crossed .A dear friend shared your posts and instantly I felt a deep connection which compelled me to respond . It’s said that grief shared is grief divided and happiness shared is happiness multiplied . Pardon me for gate crashing into your personal moments .

    “ To live in the hearts that we leave behind .. is not to die ! “
    ~~ Thomas Campbell .

    Yet another Angel returns to her heavenly abode of peace !
    Such a touching tribute to Jasmin .
    Each of us has our own notion of grief . We think it is that sad time that follows when we lose someone we love and when we have to push hard through it to get to a better place .
    But I guess we all soon learn that there is no other side . What one has to do is to accept , absorb and assimilate . Grief is not something that can be done and dusted after a given period of time . It becomes an important part of us , gives us a new perception of life and maybe a new definition of self .
    I know it’s hard to look past the sorrow now . You and your family have gone through a lot .
    Jasmin will be missed . Don’t mourn her . Please celebrate her zest for life , her laughter ,her enthusiasm , her compassion , her empathy ,her generosity of heart and spirit and more !
    I raise a humble salute to this brave soldier for fighting battles of another kind .
    Rest in peace dear Jasmin . You are in a better place .
    เฅ เคถाเคจ्เคคि ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป
    Arundathi Mulky Shiggaon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your name comes as 'Anonymous'. May I know your name please.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Nemo Resideo - The Battle for my Identity"

'Farewell my Friend' - 'Death Be Not Proud'.